Sunday, January 3, 2010

What I Learned in 2009

“Remember the former things, those of long ago;
I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is none like me.” Isaiah 46:9


As I reflected on 2009, without a doubt there are several incidents I would prefer to forget. Remind me of the happy times, but leave the hard times behind. That is when God showed me this verse and I realized He wants me to remember the past according to what He has done for me or taught me. When I took that perspective, He taught me -

• Wisdom and grace in the first year of my job as an ES
• Patience in teaching another child with Becca for preK
• Contentment by celebrating 10 years of marriage with lunch and a movie
• Happiness with season passes to Disneyland
• Rest with a pulled muscle and my first four weeks of summer vacation on the couch
• Reliance on Him by doing four 3 day craft festivals, home schooling and working full time
• Rejoicing in the school success of my little guy
• Provision in getting through the summer financially without a July paycheck
• Forgiveness and mercy when I spoke without thinking on many occasions
• Faith through studying the life of the apostle Paul
• Humility in reaching out to others in my time of need
• Endurance through times of depression
• Maturity through reading His Word and spending time with Him
• Love from the devotion of my husband
• Success in finishing and revising my first novel I started 15 years ago
• Peace while snuggling with my children
• Hope as I began my second year as an ES
• Comfort in the arms of my husband
• Service through dedication to Children’s and Women’s Ministry
• Amazement in watching my baby learn how to read and write
• Sacrifice in choosing to Home School my children
• Kindness through my sisters in Christ
• Wealth in family time together
• Pure joy in being His child and being called according to His purpose

Good times, hard times, sad times, I will carry all I have gained into this new year. I encourage you to make your list and remember all your God has done for you.

1 comment:

  1. He grows us through the good and the bad. It's the refiners fire. "My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations,
    knowing this: that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, lacking nothing." James 1:2-4

    ReplyDelete