Sunday, December 13, 2009

A Night to Remember

I opened the door, and there he was. My heart raced and my palms began to sweat. It was Friday, Dec. 13, 1996. Inviting a blind date to the staff Christmas party seemed odd to some, but my friend said he was a nice guy and I had to meet him. So here we were, staring at each other, smiling.

A few hours later I found myself leaning against him on the couch and feeling like I fit perfectly against him. By the end of the night I knew he was a great guy, especially when he offered to do the dishes.

That night as I pulled out my journal a piece of paper fell from it. My "list" of everything I wanted in a mate. I smiled, thinking of this guy named Jeff that I had just met. I could tell he already met some of my requirements. Spiritual leader, well, first he would have to become a Christian.

When I turned my lights off sometime later, I paused, not having any words to say to God. My mind was filled with the events of the night, talking and laughing with Jeff, amazed at what a gentleman he was to open doors and serve me. I knew I had no right to ask, but as I drifted off to sleep, I found myself saying, "Oh Lord, if he's the one, that would be really great."

Today as we stood together worshipping God, I felt beyond blessed. Meeting Jeff was none of my own doing or his, but God's perfect timing. Our friends that set us up actually tried 6 months prior and it fell through. It wasn't the right time. For almost a year I was seeking the perfect man. It wasn't until I turned it over to God that He brought Jeff into my life.

Shortly after I met Jeff someone asked me if I believed in love at first sight. "No," I found myself responding, "But when you find the one God created for you, He'll let you know."

2 comments:

  1. Hi Honey! I just had to be your first follower because I am afterall your biggest fan. Thanks for the kind words.

    Love Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. God always has more in store for us, than we could ever imagine.

    ReplyDelete