Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My Civic Duty

The judge acknowledged how inconvenient having jury duty the week of Christmas was. As he continued his pep talk about how important it was to serve, I made a mental list of all I was missing out on -baking cookies and fudge, wrapping the presents and picking up a few more, not to mention this was my vacation! Is it too much to ask for a little break? If he only knew…well, “your honor” wouldn’t care, but maybe it would make me feel better to tell him!

One day, one trial, I told myself as we filed into the courtroom. Hopefully it will all be over soon. I wished I could be a lucky one that would be excused due to hardship (I tried and they didn’t accept my hardship). When my name wasn’t called for the jury boxes, I was relieved. Surely it was only a matter of time.
Three hours later, there was no official jury in place. And then I found out Noah was throwing up again. We thought he was on the up swing, he’d be well soon. Not so much.

By the time I got home at 5:30pm, I was mad and bitter, with good reason. I was told if I left before the final pick, I would have to serve another day. Waste another day? That seemed entirely unfair.

I grumbled until the kids went to bed, Noah so weak I had to carry him. I sulked while eating my ice cream. And then I finally picked up God’s Word, opening it to the book of John. Jesus spoke about why a man was born blind.

‘“Neither this man nor his parents sinner,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the word of God might be displayed in his life. As long as it is day, we must do the work of him who sent me.”’

I missed out on more than baking cookies and sleeping in today. As I grumbled and complained I missed out on God being displayed in my life. Being caught up with my own circumstances, ruined my attitude and my day. It’s sad that I was short with my husband and too busy whining to others to spend time with my kids. It’s also a bummer that I was grumpy with the other jurors. But the most disappointing part is that I didn’t do the work God set before me today. As I learned in my most recent Bible Study it’s not ok to grumble and complain, or let our angry control us.

Tomorrow is a new day, and I know the work the Lord has set before me. I ask for forgiveness and pray I can represent Him well tomorrow. And I’m thankful that unlike the person that is standing trial that I may have to judge, I know asking God for forgiveness is enough because He sent His son pay the price for my sin.

1 comment:

  1. "And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ." Colossians 3:23-24

    ReplyDelete